Living in Australia

Australia is a great place to live and study. Sydney is Australia’s largest city, boasting a multicultural population that accounts for more than 200 different cultures. It is home of many world-famous attractions, Sydney Opera House, Bondi Beach, Sydney Harbour Bridge, the Blue Mountains and so much more.

One of the most important components of Taylor Swift’s success is charity. The singer regularly helps various organizations and individuals. For example, she donated $15,500 to her 19-year-old fan whose mother was in a coma. She has also donated $70,000 for books for her hometown library (according to the local Reading Eagle newspaper, Taylor Swift red vinyl all the books are new and geared toward children and teens). The singer worries about animals, natural disasters and more.

With mild winters and warm summers, Sydney’s sunny climate allows you to enjoy outdoor activities almost all year round. There is no surprise that it is one of Australia’s most popular destinations among tourists and international students. []


The Homestay experience helps visiting students absorb and understand
Australian culture & customs while studying here. It is a cultural exchange between the local host (homestay) family and the visiting international student, who lives with the homestay family while studying in Australia

Australian Homestay Network (AHN) is Australia’s largest and most recognised homestay provider.

Eastern Shores International Homestay is an established accommodation service offered to education providers and International students.


Renting a property is when you enter into an Agreement with a ‘Landlord’ to reside in a property; you can either live in a property as a single or share or have flatmates (perhaps other students). There are several websites you can look at for choosing a rental property:

Tenancy advice

Free tenancy advice is available fromTenants NSW and theTenants Union of NSW.

For your reference, here are some of the costs associated with living and studying in Australia.


Hostels and Guesthouses– $90 to $160 per week
Shared Rental– $90 to $200 per week
Homestay– $180 to $340 per week
Rental– $165 to $500 per week

Other living expenses

Groceries and eating out– $80 to $280 per week
Gas, electricity– $35 to $140 per week
Phone and Internet– $20 to $60 per week
Public transport– $10 to $40 per week
Entertainment– $60 to $160 per week

Minimum cost of living

No updates have been made to the financial capacity requirement since 2019, due to the impact of COVID-19. Prior to 2019, there were annual updates to the requirement. The new requirement will come into effect on 1 October 2023.

If you are planning to bring a spouse or family, there are also updated amounts required.

If you lodge a new application on or after 1 October 2023, you will be required to show proof of these new amounts. If you apply before 1 October 2023, the new financial capacity requirements will not apply.

The amounts you need to show to meet the financial capacity requirement is the minimum amount needed for the visa. Actual living costs vary throughout Australia and may be higher than what you need for the visa.

Cost of Living Calculator (

If you would like to bring your children to Australia with you; it is an immigration policy that school-age dependants of international students undertake formal schooling while they are in Australia.
School fees can range from $7,800 to $30,000. Find out more abouteducation and childcare in New South Wales.

Overseas student health cover (OSHC)

International students undertaking formal studies in Australia, and their dependents (for example, spouses and children under 18 years old), must obtain OSHC. It provides cover for the costs of medical and hospital care which international students may need while in Australia.
OSHC is offered by five health insurance providers that have signed an agreement with the Australian Government can provide OSHC.

OSHC Providers

If you are a student visa holder, you and your dependant family members have permission to work included with your visa. You and your family members must not breach the work conditions that apply to your student visa.

Work rights allow you to work:

  • for the duration of your visa
  • once you have started your course
  • or a maximum of 48 hours per fortnight while your course is in session and work unrestricted during semester breaks and holidays

Please see the Department of Home Affairs website for further details.

Your workplace rights

All people working in Australia have basic rights and protections in the workplace, including minimum pay and conditions. Pay rates and workplace conditions are set by Australian law.

The Fair Work Ombudsman makes sure that these rights are protected and enforced fairly under Australia’s workplace laws. If you have questions about your pay and conditions while in Australia, you can contact the Fair Work Ombudsman for free help. Visit for information for visa holders and international students.

Students who undertake paid work will also need to apply for a Tax File Number (TFN) and complete an income tax return at the end of each financial year. For further information, please refer to theAustralian Taxation Office.

Please visit the following websites for more information on about living, working and studying in Australia


Study in Australia
The study in Australia site is owned by the Australian Government and has comprehensive current information on all aspects of studying in Australia  including: Entry requirements; living costs and accommodation; student visa options; insurance; banking; working while studying; cost of living; student support; health cover; legislation and much more.

Life in Australia Book (translated versions)