ESOS information

Tuition Protection Service

The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is a placement and refund service for international students. The TPS replaces the Tuition Assurance Scheme and the ESOS Assurance Fund.

On the rare occasions that a provider is unable to deliver a course an international student has paid for and does not meet their legal obligations to make alternative course placements or provide a refund, the TPS will assist students in finding an alternative place or, if this is not possible, provide a refund of any unspent tuition fees. Please visit the TPS website.

The Overseas Students Ombudsman

The Overseas Students Ombudsman:

  • investigates complaints about problems that overseas students have with private education and training in Australia
  • provides information about best practice complaints handling to help private education providers manage internal complaints effectively
  • considers, free of charge, external appeals under Standard 10 of the National Code of Practice for Registered Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018.

If you have a complaint about your education provider you may take the matter to an independent complaints handling body. This will be the relevant State Ombudsman if you are enrolled with a publicly-funded provider or the Overseas Student Ombudsman if you are enrolled with a private provider. Visit the relevant state ombudsman’s website or for more information.

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship

The purpose of the Department of Home Affairs is to ‘build Australia’s future through the well-managed movement and settlement of people’. It also promotes a society that values Australian Citizenship, appreciates cultural diversity, and enables migrants to participate equitably. The department’s operational theme is – People: Our Business.

If you have a visa, skilled migration, or permanent residence-related question these should be directed to DoHA. You can call DoHA on 131 881, or visit their website: If you are located outside Australia, you can look at the DoHA website to find contact details for these matters in your country.

Study in Australia

Study in Australia is the official Australian Government website for advice on studying in Australia. Here you will find impartial and reliable information about courses, institutions, study, and living in Australia.
Study in Australia provides impartial and reliable information about:

  • Why study in Australia
  • Living in Australia
  • Courses and study costs
  • During your study in Australia
  • Information for after your studies
  • Help in your country

Visit for more information